Creating a Podcast: A Fundamentals Tutorial
This tutorial is intended to provide an overview of the basics for creating and distributing an audio podcast. This is a free resource provided by Carnegie Mellon’s Center for Arts Management and Technology, and the audio files on this page should be used only for completing this tutorial.
For this tutorial, you will need to download and install Audacity and the LAME MP3 encoder.
- Download Audacity for Windows or Mac
- Download LAME MP3 for Windows or Mac (ZIP File)
- Instructions for installing the LAME MP3 encoder
Tutorial Audio Files
To download a file, right-click (Win) or ctrl-click (Mac) its link and choose “Save As…”
- neighbor – From The Simpsons
- vietnam – From Good Morning, Vietnam
- intro_outro – 24bit MEMORY by Andre Morgunoff
- hangover – From School of Rock
- farewell – From Back to the Future III
Podcast Hosting Services
There are countless paid and free blog- and podcast-hosting services on the Internet that will automatically generate an RSS feed. The following services are some of the more popular:
- LibSyn.com – Paid but affordable podcast hosting
- Podbean.com – Free podcast hosting service
- WordPress.com – Free blog software that will host up to 3 GB of media content for free
The following tools and services are designed to help podcasters, from beginner to pro.
- The Levelator – Amazing tool for automatically balancing volume levels of an audio file
- Podsafe Music Network – Great royalty free music for spicing up your show
- Creative Commons – Another great tool for finding flexibly licensed content
If we’ve missed any resource links that you feel should be added, please let us know.